Best drip coffee maker with no plastic parts
For me, there is no better way to start my day than sipping through a steaming hot cup of coffee.
Recent studies done by Harvard Medical confirm that if you drink coffee moderately then, there is less chance of early death.
Over the years, I’ve to spend a lot of money for the right coffee machine. It would be hard to miss the taste of plastic every time I purchased a new coffee maker.
I later came to know that industrial chemicals like BPA (Bisphenol A) which are used to make plastic harder and durable are leaking into our coffee. In case you are wondering how BPA is harmful to our health, just have a look at the following points.
- According to CDC report on exposure of human beings to industrial chemicals, 92% of people who were tested have detectable levels of BPA.
- BPA is a known endocrine disruptor which disrupts our internal hormonal balance and leads to obesity, diabetes, and many sexual disorders.
So, I actively started looking for coffee maker without any plastic parts.
In this post, I’ll tell you about two automatic drip coffee brewers with no plastic which you can use in your daily life without any health issues. By the way, the same thing applies to our kettle which is why I recommend these plastic free electric glass kettle in an earlier article.
BUNN 13300 VP17-1 ss Pour over Coffee Brewer review
This Bunn 13300.0001 Product is all love.
It works amazingly well and brews excellent coffee. Bunn VP 17-1 ss is a pour over type coffee machine so the setup is quite simple. You pour water to the brewer through a screen which leads to the reservoir. The hot water is stored in a lower container.
The funnel is made up of plastic but it is replaceable. So you can check out this steel funnel.
Although the above steel funnel is made up of no plastic but it doesn’t consist of tipping kit. So, if you want to bring out the maximum taste in your coffee, then you should use a tip kit.
Features and Performance
- The coffee maker is extremely well built. I accidentally tip it over from my kitchen base but found everything working fine and good.
- It comes with a thermostat which can raise the maximum temperature to around 180F. If you want, you can purchase a Bunn thermostat to increase the temperature to 200F. You’ll get around 12 cups of coffee in around 3 minutes.
- Bunn VP17 is a power hungry machine. The power remains on all the time. You can use an appliance timer to power on/off as per your requirement. This’ll help you in saving a lot of energy cost.
- Now, I find Bunn VP 17 bulkier than the most coffee maker. So, if you’re moving out constantly, then this is not the right fit for you.
- The product is of top quality. The burner, lower tank, and all parts are built to last.
- It is quite difficult and time-consuming to clean the tank. The brewer has no drain valve per se. So, you’ve to clean manually and wash it using vinegar. It just takes lots of time and efforts.
- I found that the coffee made by the Bunn do have a little bitter taste at times. I like to have a strong coffee, so it was no problem for me.
Bunn VP 17-1 ss pour over coffee brewer is not cheap neither too expensive. So, if you want an automatic drip coffee maker which is built to last and with no plastic, I highly recommend this one to you.
Behmor Brazen Plus temperature control coffee maker review
Behmor brazen plus is a feature rich, pour over type coffee maker. There are a lot of control and programming, so if you don’t feel comfortable playing with this option I would say this is not for you.
But if you like to play with a lot of features, you’ll feel like a kid in a candy store.
If you’re living at an altitude, then look no further this coffeemaker is the right one for you.
This indeed is a complex machine and I would highly recommend you to go through the user manual.
Behemor Brazen is fully compliant with SCAA guidelines and floors you with control from having the ability to choose the amount of time for pre-soaking your ground to determine the right brewing temperature for your coffee.
I opened up the setup and didn’t find any plastic parts which you can’t replace. You might find plastic in the funnel which you can replace with any stainless steel funnel. Though brazen makers’ claim of using BPA-free plastic.
Features and Performance
- Brazen measures 16” by 9” in size.It is fairly compact and well built in size. Behmor Brazen comes with its carafe, unlike Bunn VP17. The carafe is made up of stainless steel without any chance of any plastic contamination
- The machine looks quite stunning with its three-legged structure and stainless steel carafe at the bottom. You’ll also notice an LCD screen with metallic buttons (exactly 8) along the surface for control option.
- The menu option will give you the ability to select your brewing temperature from 190F to 210F. So, if you’re living at a higher altitude, you should use calibration to set the right brewing temperature. Hit the mode button and in calibration, set the approximate altitude. The brazen will set the right temperature for you.
- You can also pre-soak your coffee ground before the brewing process starts. You can set the pre-soaking period from 15 seconds to 4 minutes.
- I love to automate the start time for the brewing process. I like to set my automated brewing process to start at six in the morning. I wake up by 06:30 in the morning and found my coffee hot and ready.It allows me to start my day on the right note.
- I generally use Keurig Green Mountain brand and I found the taste of coffee made by brazen smooth and buttery in nature with no bitterness at all.
I think Behmor Brazen Plus is an awesome choice for you are little techie or living at high altitude. There is no doubt that this is a next generation product which empowers coffee aficionado like us with a lot of options and control never seen in the coffee maker.
I think both these no plastic coffee machine are awesome. It all depends on your choice and discretion.
Do let me know which plastic free automatic coffee machine you’re using?
And, if you like this article don’t forget to spread the share love.